From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Piping "emerge -a" to some other command
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 11:48:03
1 Greetings,
2
3 since the output of "emerge -a" might be long, and since on a stock con-
4 sole you cannot scroll, I had the idea of piping it into "tee", and in
5 case I'm unsure just to say "No" to the question of whether or not I
6 would like to merge these packages and then to inspect the "emerge" out-
7 put more closely using an editor.
8
9 Sadly, however, this works only partly:
10
11 $ sudo emerge -1a acct-group/abrt | tee
12 Password:
13
14 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
15
16 Calculating dependencies ... done!
17 [ebuild N ] acct-group/abrt-0-r1
18
19 And that's it, however long you're going to wait here. You can then
20 blindly say "No", and "tee" will continue its output:
21
22 Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
23 Quitting.
24
25 $
26
27 Replacing "tee" with "more" does not change anything, so most likely the
28 culprit is "emerge" itself, which seems to instantly block standard out-
29 put after it has sent its question there.
30
31 So, is this a bug or a feature?
32
33 Sincerely,