From: "Michael B. Trausch" <fd0man@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] aRts sound server on KDE 3.5.2?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:13:47
1 I am wondering if anybody here has run into a problem using aRts 3.5.2
2 with KDE 3.5.2 on ~x86. I know that ~x86 is technically unsupported, so
3 I'm just looking to see if anybody else might be experencing problems
4 with this setup or would know how to go about attempting to troubleshoot
5 it. It dies claiming CPU overload after anywhere from fifteen seconds
6 to thirty minutes of trying to grab all of the CPU's attention, and does
7 not output any sound.
8
9 Unlike information I've found from Google wherein it would only affect a
10 single particular user account or non-privileged users, this affects all
11 users on the system, including root, and the problem persists across
12 reboots. This has me believing that it is a problem somewhere in the
13 configuration, as I've re-emerged both arts and kdemultimedia-arts, to
14 no avail. And I know next to nothing about aRts, so I can't determine
15 how to track the bug down to file a report.
16
17 The only thing I do know is that it has something to do with a broken
18 pipe. strace shows this, over and over again (about 20-30 times per
19 second, until artsd dies):
20
21 ioctl(9, 0x4140, 0) = 0
22 ioctl(9, 0x4142, 0) = -1 EPIPE (Broken pipe)
23
24 The best I can do is know that this is trying to work with file
25 descriptor 9 and the IOCTL for 0x4142, whatever that is, is failing.
26 But I'm not sure how to map that open fd to a filename so that I can try
27 to determine if it is something I introduced as an error in my
28 configuration, or if there is a problem with the program somewhere,
29 wherein a bug needs to be reported.
30
31 Thanks in advance for any help,
32 Mike