From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternatives to knutclient
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 19:30:25
1 On 29/10/17 19:11, Mick wrote:
2 > BTW, perhaps in UK cities general and unpredicted power cuts are relatively
3 > rare and brownouts don't occur often. Out in the sticks the infrastructure is
4 > so neglected power cuts and brown outs can be a weekly occurrence. I just
5 > bought yet another UPS to protect my TV and media devices, having suffered
6 > catastrophic failures in the past. :-(
7
8 That looks like infrastructure failure, not plain insufficient power
9 which is what we are apparently heading for. Certainly the "explosions"
10 one is "old news" - where I worked suffered this sort of failure in the
11 early 90's.
12
13 The story as I understood it was some crooks went down a manhole to try
14 and blow their way into a Lloyds Bank vault. Unfortunately, between them
15 and the vault was a - somewhat overloaded - 50KV supply line. When the
16 charge went off, this shorted for some 5 miles of cable :-(
17
18 It's too long ago now, I think it happened on a Sunday night so we came
19 in to work to no power. They got an emergency rig up and running Monday
20 afternoon, one phase back by about Wednesday, and everything back to
21 normal the following Monday. This was the Kings Road in London!
22
23 But the new feature is just "not enough power" - that really will be a
24 problem!
25
26 Cheers,
27 Wol