From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 19:32:59
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 I've just removed pulseaudio from my main Gentoo system. Why? Several
4 reasons:
5
6 (i) It's a "sound server", a description I don't understand. What does
7 it _do_? Why do I want it? It seems to be an unnecessary layer of fat
8 between sound applications and the kernel.
9
10 (ii) I was having problems with the last 1-2 seconds being cut off audio
11 streams from news sites.
12
13 (iii) The provenance of the code; it's author is also udev's maintainer,
14 the udev that has given most of us so much fun over the months. When
15 might awkwardnesses start appearing in pulseaudio?
16
17 By the way, I run sound stuff mainly in Gnome 2, using aqualung to play
18 CDs and listening to audio files streamed or downloaded from the net.
19
20 So, I grasped the nettle, put in a negative pulseaudio use flag, unmerged
21 pa and alsa-plugins, then rebuilt the 14 packages which needed it.
22
23 Surprisingly, everything still works. I now get those last seconds from
24 my news streams. :-)
25
26 So, yes, I can recomment the removal of pulseaudio, unless anybody's got
27 some particular need for it.
30 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).