From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PORTAGE_ELOG error
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 15:43:12
1 On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:27:22 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 > >> Sending mail with directly speaking SMTP isn't. That's the job
4 > >> of a MTA.
5 > >
6 > > What if you don't have an MTA installed, which is how this question
7 > > arose?
8 >
9 > Then you install one.
10
11 That's not an acceptable answer for a core system service. Portage
12 should, and can, be able to do its job using the standard Python mail
13 transport methods.
14
15 > > Talking SMTP is how all my mail-sending software communicates with
16 > > it.
17 >
18 > cron?
19
20 Fair comment, I forgot about that one, which uses ssmtp. In my defence,
21 our month-old grandson stayed with us last night - sleep-deprivation is a
22 b*******!
23
24 > >> > Why not let portage work with the same SMTP server you use for all
25 > >> > other mail?
26 > >>
27 > >> Why make me configure SMTP in two places (MTA and Portage)?
28 > >
29 > > That's a separate question.
30 >
31 > No, it's not.
32
33 It is, but it doesn't matter.You should not be "made" to configure mail
34 in two places if you have an MTA, I never disagreed with that. But
35 equally, you should not be forced to install an MTA.
36
37 > > It's trivial to configure portage to use a
38 > > local MTA if you have one.
39 >
40 > No, it's not *trivial*. It's not hard, but trivial... No.
41
42 Uncommenting the relevant line and changing the email address to your own
43 seems trivial to me. It may not be trivial to a SUSE user, but no Gentoo
44 user should have trouble entering their mail address in a config file.
45
46 > > If you want to use sendmail instead, why not
47 > > submit a bug report, preferably with a patch?
48 >
49 > PORTAGE_ELOG_COMMAND exists. I'd rather suggest to dump the
50 > wasteful SMTP support. But I doubt that such a good suggestion
51 > would be welcome - rather the Windows is chosen.
52
53 It's not wasteful, as it provides an easy option for many people and it
54 uses existing software. Look at the code and you'll see that all it does
55 is parse the address etc. from the config file and use it to send the
56 message via an smtplib function. Using sendmail would require about the
57 same amount of code, giving a choice of the two would only add a couple
58 of lines, which should suit everyone.
59
60 > > But don't force all those people without an MTA to install one just
61 > > because it's easier for you.
62 >
63 > Well, don't force me to use SMTP, just because it's easier for you!
64
65 I'm not, I didn't write portage!
66
67 > And also don't force me, to write "complicated" scripts, just because
68 > it's easier for you!
69
70 It's easier for me because it's there and it works.
71
72 > If portage would use the standard ways of sending
73 > mail, ie. /usr/sbin/sendmail, than this script wouldn't be necessary.
74 > MAYBE SMTP could be added as an *OPTION* - but I'd not add this, it's
75 > bloat.
76
77 It's not bloat, because the code is already there.
78
79 > > Or
80 > > will ssmtp handle this correctly?
81 >
82 > What "this"?
83
84 Sending mail from portage as per the OP's question.
85
86 > With my howto, /usr/sbin/sendmail is used to send out
87 > mail. Benefit of this is, that the "SMTP configuration" (ie. name
88 > of (smart-)host and possibly username+password) only has to be set
89 > at one spot - in the configuration file of the MTA. What MTA is
90 > chosen, is basically upto the user - but Gentoo seems to prefer
91 > ssmtp, which is totally fine and also is, what I'd suggest, as ssmtp
92 > is so easy to configure and offer's all, that's needed.
93
94 As I said, file a request on bugzilla. It sounds a reasonable option.
98 Neil Bothwick
99
100 To poldly bow air mobius gumby four: Trek on novocaine.