From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing /home and swap
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 02:48:29
1 On Wednesday 28 December 2011 02:21:25 Andrew Lowe wrote:
2
3 > Is there anything in my current Gentoo /home and swap that "locks" them to
4 > the Gentoo install or can I share them between the two installs?
5
6 Beware! Whichever your preferred desktop (kde, gnome, whatever), having your
7 whole home directory shared between distros is a recipe for disaster. You
8 only need one program to differ in version number between distros to render
9 the whole lot unusable. Consider, for instance, the current difficulty of
10 incompatible versions of kmail between 4.4 and 4.7.
11
12 My preference is to have a /home/<user>/common partition mounted in each
13 distro, containing everything I want accessible at all times, but leave
14 things like .kde4 dedicated to the distro that's running it.
17 Rgds
18 Peter Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23