From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dev-util/autotoolset
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:07:17
1 dhk wrote:
2 > What should I do about dev-util/autotoolset? I use it every day for a
3 > project, but today it looks like I'm being told to remove it. What is
4 > the alternative?
5 >
6 > In my package.keywords file I have "dev-util/autotoolset ~amd64"
7 > unmasked since I use autotools for a project.
8 >
9 > After the output of "emerge -uDNp world" this morning the following
10 > message is displayed.
11 >
12 > !!! The following installed packages are masked:
13 > - dev-util/autotoolset-0.11.4-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
14 > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
15 > # Diego E. Pettenò<flameeyes@g.o> (04 Oct 2010)
16 > # on behalf of QA team
17 > #
18 > # Ironically, it is misusing autotools (bug #255831). It was
19 > # added in 2004 and never version bumped since; autotools
20 > # have since evolved a fair amount, while this is based
21 > # still on automake 1.6. Avoid keeping it around.
22 > #
23 > # Removal on 2010-12-03
24 >
25 > For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
26 > man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
27 >
28 > As stated above, what should I "Avoid keeping it around?" Is it
29 > autotoolset, automake 1.6, ...? Also, what's getting removed on
30 > 2010-12-03? If autotoolset is removed, what should be used to build
31 > projects?
32 >
33 > Even though I have autotoolset installed, search shows it as being masked.
34 >
35 > # emerge --search autotoolset
36 > Searching...
37 > [ Results for search key : autotoolset ]
38 > [ Applications found : 1 ]
39 >
40 > * dev-util/autotoolset [ Masked ]
41 > Latest version available: 0.11.4-r1
42 > Latest version installed: 0.11.4-r1
43 > Size of files: 1,133 kB
44 > Homepage: http://autotoolset.sourceforge.net/
46 > development with autotools
47 > License: GPL-2
50 > What to do now?
51 >
52 > Thanks,
53 >
54 > dhk
58 Here are a couple options. Subscribe to -dev and see if you can take
59 over maintaining the package. Then do whatever needs to be done to get
60 it updated and keep it stable. If you can do that, they could let the
61 package stay in the tree.
62
63 Next option, copy the ebuild to a local overlay and maintain it there.
64 Keep in mind, doing this is about the same as above except it affects
65 just you. You do all the work locally.
66
67 One other option, use different tools to do your project. I don't know
68 anything about autotoolset or what it does but there may be better tools
69 to use.
70
71 If you don't do one of the above, autotoolses ebuild will be removed and
72 you will eventually have to do something because there will be no more
73 updates. Which appears to be the case now anyway. No updates since 2004.
74
75 There's some options. Someone else may have a couple more.
76
77 Dale
78