From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Making A News Server
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:13:29
1 On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2
3 > My ISP's news server (news.cableone.net) does not allow posting. I
4 > wanted to set up my own news server so that I could both get nntp/news
5 > data and post to newsgroups. I found a howto at www.tldp.org and have
6 > been following it. The howto said to open leafnode/config (I copied
7 > mine frim /etc/leafnode/config.example to /etc/leafnode/config) and set
8 > the server variable to be equal to my ISP's news server. Herein lies my
9 > problem. The comment in the file above the server variable assignment
10 > is:
11 >
12 > ## This is the NNTP server leafnode fetches its news from.
13 > ## You need read and post access to it. Mandatory.
16 > I don't have post access to news.cableone.net - That's why I'm doing
17 > this. Is there a way around this, or can anyone make suggestions for
18 > setting up a news server that can both read and post to Usenet groups?
19
20 Setting up a new server is a non-trivial task.
21
22 If you just want to read and post messages you might be better off getting
23 an account from Giganews.
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list