From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any real need to switch python targets back and forth every month?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 12:01:39
1 On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 6:44 AM Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Before switching python_targets for the first time, you could use your
4 > news system to inform Gentoo users that
5 > 1) you are switching python_targets
6 > 2) it may be "a bit premature",
7
8 If anybody thought that it was a bit premature it wouldn't have been
9 done at all.
10
11 > and so, those who really want to have a stable Gentoo system should
12 > 1) do such and such changes to their config files and
13 > 2) wait about 3 months untill all the dust will settle.
14
15 Did this even impact the stable branch? I thought this was only
16 deployed to ~arch. If you want stable Gentoo, you probably shouldn't
17 have edited make.conf to set your keywords to ~arch.
18
19 > P.S. The said above together with the recent Gentoo signing key issue
20 > and sometimes "corrupted" daily portage snapshots that I download by
21 > emerge-webrsync make me think that even so called "stable" Gentoo
22 > lacks quality control and cannot be considered as stable and suted for
23 > those that really need a stable system.
24
25 Well, most people stick with RHEL/CentOS or Debian Stable for that
26 kind of experience, where changes only happen on releases with
27 significant QA, and backporting of fixes. That simply isn't the kind
28 of experience Gentoo aims to deliver.
31 Rich