From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, isaac.neil@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xhost +local:root ???
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:31:52
1 From: "Neil Isaac" <isaac.neil@×××××.com>
2 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xhost +local:root ???
3 Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 14:16:43 +0000
4
5 > On 9/16/06, Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
6 > > Hi,
7 > >
8 > > before I
9 > >
10 > > emerge -e system/world
11 > >
12 > > my whole system I could allow root to open the X display by typing
13 > >
14 > > xhost +local:root ???
15 > >
16 > > . This seems to not to work any longer.
17 > >
18 > > When starting ethereal/wireshark I get:
19 > >
20 > > Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
21 > >
22 > > .
23 > >
24 > > I searched the gentoo wiki for matches to combinations of
25 > >
26 > > X11 root xhost
27 > >
28 > > and such but didnt find anything else than the xhost command as shown
29 > > above.
30 > >
31 > > Is there any way to allow root to use the X display when a user has
32 > > opened the session and su'ed to root ?
33 > >
34 > > Thank you very much for any help in advance !
35 >
36 > I am able to (for example) open xterm as root by doing:
37 > sudo xterm -display :0.0
38 >
39 > This tells xterm what xserver to run on (0.0 in my case) and also
40 > works outside of Xorg.
41 > Hope that helps.
42 >
43 > --
44 > Neil Isaac
45 > isaac.neil@×××××.com
46 > --
47 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
50 No, unfortunately not.
51 Starting wireshark As normal user it works pretty well.
52 But then the ethernet-card is not set to promiscous mode...
53
54 As root it does not work. And it does not root when startet with
55
56 sudo wireshark
57
58 . Damn....!
59
60 Any other ideas ? (I checked it with the option as mentioned above and
61 with the xhost settings.)
62
63 Keep hacking!
64 mcc