From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pseudo first impressions
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:28:10
1 On April 29, 2017 4:39:13 PM GMT+02:00, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 >Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 >Now able to boot into my new hardware, one of the first things I did
5 >was
6 >
7 > # emerge --sync
8 >
9 >. Fine. The next thing I tried was
10 >
11 > # emerge -auND @world
12 >
13 >, which is probably recommended in the handbook. This was anything but
14 >fine.
15 >
16 >I'm glad I'm not a real Gentoo newby, because I would have been
17 >completely flumoxed by what came up on my screen.
18 >
19 >For a start, I could barely read parts of it, which were displayed in
20 >dark blue text on a black background. Setting up
21 >/etc/portage/color.map
22 >is not the first thing a new user should have to do to be able to read
23 >messages from emerge. This is, however, something I knew had to be
24 >done, and I did it.
25 >
26 >The error message was "Multiple package instances within a single
27 >package slot have been pulled into the dependency graph, resulting in a
28 >slot conflict:". Uhh???
29 >
30 >Is this gobbledegook really what a new user should be seeing, having
31 >not
32 >yet installed any packages, bar a very few, beyond what is requisite to
33 >bringing a new machine up?
34 >
35 >The actual conflict packages are:
36 > dev-lang/perl-5.24.1-r1:0/5.24::gentoo
37 > and
38 > dev-lang/perl-5.22.3-rc4:0/5.22::gentoo
39 >, "pulled in" by internal system packages I've got no direct interest
40 >in, plus, shockingly, "and 2 more with the same problem" and "and 5
41 >more
42 >with the same problem".
43 >
44 >I'm glad I've got the experience with Gentoo to know it's worth
45 >ploughing on through these messes.
46 >
47 >Other than that, it seems like a pretty ghastly mistake by Gentoo's
48 >quality control. I know none of you get paid for it, and you all do it
49 >for love. I admit I probably wouldn't have done the job much better
50 >myself. But for Gentoo's sake, something needs to get better.
51
52 Alan,
53
54 I found on several systems that using "--backtrack=100" actually resolved the latest blockers with perl.
57 Joost
58 --
59 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.