From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FF increasingly being bundled up
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 12:31:26
1 Bryan Gardiner wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 03, 2015 at 06:26:37AM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, Oct 03, 2015 at 10:15:08AM +0100, Mick wrote:
5 >>>> Hi All,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I happened to notice that Firefox is having more and more USE flags for using
8 >>>> system-side rather than bundled in libraries:
9 >>>>
10 >>>> ...
11 >>>>
12 >>>> However, such libraries are not enabled by default and FF will be downloading
13 >>>> 177,578 KiB of sources. A couple of questions:
14 >>>>
15 >>>> - Will FF be downloading less if the system side USE flags are enabled?
16 >>> As far as I can tell, the same tarball is downloaded no matter which
17 >>> system-* USE flags you set. The ebuild tells the build system to use the
18 >>> system stuff.
19 >> That's true. Regardless of USE flags, same tarball. I don't recall
20 >> ever seeing USE flags affect the size of the tarball unless it is a
21 >> binary which likely doesn't have USE flags anyway.
22 > "emerge -pf" shows what distfiles are required and takes USE flags
23 > into account, if you want to check for yourself.
24 >
25 > Cheers,
26 > Bryan
29 But the Firefox tarball will be the same size. If you change a USE
30 flag, that may pull in dependencies but it doesn't change the size of
31 the Firefox tarball itself. The Firefox tarball is getting rather
32 large. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.
33
34 Dale
35