From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New profile 17: How urgent is the rebuild of world technically?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 03:46:21
1 On 12/03 04:35, Heiko Baums wrote:
2 > Am Sun, 3 Dec 2017 04:26:55 +0100
3 > schrieb tuxic@××××××.de:
4 >
5 > > If the compilation will fail at a certain point (and it will fail,
6 > > since this is a complete new thing) -- would it be possible to resume
7 > > even some tweaks, hacks and patches (even certain recompilations)
8 > > would be needed in between?
9 >
10 > Just run `emerge -e --keep-going y @world`.
11 >
12 > > Can I stop a running emerge @world and resume later?
13 >
14 > Maybe with `emerge --resume`. But I don't know if interrupting this
15 > would cause some problems in this particular case.
16 >
17 > > How does a restarted emerge @world recognizes packages, which are
18 > > already compiled according to the new standard?
19 >
20 > It simply creates a list of the packages to be installed as usual and
21 > knows which of them are already installed and which are not. Then it
22 > recalculates the dependency tree as usual.
23 >
24 > Heiko
27 Hi Heiko,
28
29 ...sorry my question was unclear.
30
31 Suppose one would do an emerge @world...and then BOOOM! a powerfailyre
32 would stop the whole thing. Further suppose the filesystem, the
33 hardware and anything has survived luckily -- only emerge @world needs
34 to be restarted.
35 And one does NOT an emerge --resume but an emerge @world.
36 In this particular case...how does emerge knows from the previous
37 emerge @world what packages has been recompiled already and are "PIE"?
38
39 How can I check, whether a binary is "PIE"-conform ("pie-conform" is
40 a freaky funny language hack :) ;) ) ?
41
42 Cheers
43 Meino