From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] idea about small footprint gentoo
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:37:54
1 On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 14:00 +0200, Sascha Lucas wrote:
2 > > no
3 > >
4 > > what about stuff that doesn't run all the time? stuff that cro needs
5 > > etc?
6 >
7 > I realy know what will run on such a system. Think of a router, or a
8 > datacollector. Pleas tell me what is cro?
9 >
10 > > look at catalyst, it is the tool for building custom gentoo installs.
11 >
12 > I already did this. There you can specify what files/packages to
13 > remove..... my intention is to know every file that can be removed.
14
15 Well the .spec files for the minimal install cd gives you quite a few
16 clues.
17
18 You might also take a look at the build system for ipcop, it is built
19 using LFS coupled with its own make files. IIRC it includes in the build
20 system a list of files that will be installed on the target system. The
21 build system source code is only in the order of 1 MB I think (Naturally
22 it downloads a lot of other sources to actually build, but you don't
23 need to do that to look at the target file list.
28 > Sascha.
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list