From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg problems: Intel 945GM (Gigabyte Motherboard onboard video)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:16:28
1 Thank you, Volker.
2
3 I'm uncertain what did it: I have fluxbox working now. Many
4 intervening steps, lots of error messages. Somehow, it just works.
5
6 Thanks again.
7
8 Alan
9
10 On 2009-09-06, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
11 > On Sonntag 06 September 2009, Alan E. Davis wrote:
12 >> I got caught, apparently like many others, installing Gentoo to another
13 >> PC.
14 >> I've been running Ubuntu (probably Intrepid Ibex, two versions ago), so I
15 >> know this video adapter is supported. But various issues have ambushed me
16 >> in trying to get this working.
17 >>
18 >> 1. On first install, the keyboard didn't work. I followed the
19 >> instructions to the letter, the mouse even worked, but the keyboard
20 >> didn't. I killed off the windows one by one with the mouse, and the
21 >> machine was then stalled in that state.
22 >>
23 >> 2. I remembered a keyboard issue from my home machine, involving a new
24 >> version of xorg, so I (unwisely perhaps) added the ~amd64 keyword to
25 >> make.conf. Thereupon followed a series of issues, involving one
26 >> hypothesis
27 >> after another. I never saw a screen with the "X" cursor again.
28 >>
29 >> 3. There is an issue surrounding HAL. I added a hal keyword, recompiled,
30 >> tweaked the kernel: no good. I got a black screen. Keyboard wasn't
31 >> working, so I followed a few more hunches. I was unable to read the docs
32 >> in a nice screen, as I was using links.
33 >>
34 >> 4. Eventually I decided to put the hal keyword back in, and recompiled.
35 >> In
36 >> the interim I had removed the ~amd keyword from make.conf, and I ran
37 >> emerge
38 >> -uDav --newuse world. Thinking better of it, a few merges into that, I
39 >> replaced the ~amd64 keyword, and started the same process. I found along
40 >> the way that I needed to serially recompile the kernel, re-merge
41 >> xf86-input-*, etc., again. I then decided to enable evdev, even though I
42 >> was intimidated by that from my earlier issue with an nvidia card.
43 >>
44 >> 5. I finally read some forum topics and mailing list threads. Apparently
45 >> this is not uncommon at ALL. A gentoo wiki article about the Intel cards
46 >> was referred to, but is unavailable. Interestingly, even the google cache
47 >> is clear of these missing gentoo wiki articles!
48 >>
49 >> I've finally left the machine overnight to run it's course of
50 >> re-installation etc. If that doesn't work, I have already copied over the
51 >> grub.conf entry for the ubuntu install on the same disk, so that's an
52 >> option.
53 >>
54 >> I guess my question is what is the correct way to go about installing
55 >> gentoo on a machine with these on board Intel adapters?
56 >>
57 >> [I can reinstall the whole system once I figure out what's going on. I
58 >> must have this machine working within 24 hours, though, hence Ubuntu
59 >> looms
60 >> on the horizon.]
63 >> Alan Davis
64 >>
65 >> You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but
66 >> when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the
67 >> bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing---that's what
68 >> counts.
69 >>
70 >> ----Richard Feynman
74 > the same as always, You emerge your base system. Then kernel. Then X. X
75 > drivers. Graphics, Mouse, Keyboard. You can either use evdev or kbd for
76 > keyboard. I prefer the later one. Hal or not doesn't make much of a
77 > difference.
78 >
79 > The important thing is: after an X update you must reinstall the input
80 > drivers!
86 Alan Davis
87
88 You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world,
89 but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever
90 about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's
91 doing---that's what counts.
92
93 ----Richard Feynman