From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CIFS mounts started misbehaving
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:42:46
1 On 2017-03-04, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Am Sat, 04 Mar 2017 08:02:11 +0000 schrieb "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>:
5 >> >Normally, when things are working but idle, the TCP connection to 445
6 >> >shows an SMB echo request/rseponse transaction once per minute. When
7 >> >it fails, the TCP connection evidently got dropped, and the Windows
8 >> >machine repeatedly shuts down new ones:
9 >> >
10 >> >The failure mode looks like this in wireshark:
11 >> >
12 >> > Gentoo Windows
13 >> >
14 >> > -> SYN -> 445
15 >> > <- SYN/ACK <- 445
16 >> > -> ACK -> 445
17 >> > -> SMB[echo req] -> 445
18 >> > <- RST <- 445
19 >> >
20 >> >[that repeats 800 times per second for long periods of time]
21 >> >
22 >> >Then at some point, it starts to work:
23 >> >
24 >> > -> SYN -> 445
25 >> > <- SYN/ACK <- 445
26 >> > -> ACK -> 445
27 >> > -> SMB[proto neg req] -> 445
28 >> > <- SMB[proto neg rsp] <- 445
29 >> > -> SMB[ses setup req] -> 445
30 >> > <- SMB[ses setup rsp] <- 445
31 >> > ...
32 >>
33 >> >Sometimes the umount times out and "fails" because the "host is
34 >> >down", and when that happens, it seems like it immediately starts to
35 >> >work again. :/
36 >>
37 >> Are other hosts linux or windows?
38
39 Other Linux and Windows clients don't seem to be having this problem.
40
41 >> Maybe a dodgy switch forgetting the correct path?
42
43 I don't think so. I can ping the host while the CIFS subsystem says
44 "host is down". If the switch is forgetting the path, who's sending
45 back the SYN/ACK and the RST
46
47 > Or an MTU problem... Is there a router in the path?
48
49 Nope.
50
51 I'm going to try to set up a Wireshark capture in ring-buffer mode and
52 somehow detect the failure and stop the capture...
55 Grant