From: James <bjlockie@××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] High Definition and OSS
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 20:12:21
1 > Hi list!
2 >
3 > I'm thinking about buying a BlueRay- and HD-DVD-combo reader.
4 > Can I use GNU/Linux standard software (mplayer preferred) to watch
5 > HD-movies or does its copy protection stop me from using it? If so, are
6 > there any workarounds?
7 >
8 > Thanks in advance!
9 >
10 > Florian Philipp
11 >
12 I think you have to run software to decrypt the DVD on the fly and then
13 have mplayer read the stream.
14 The decryption keys to older bluray titles are available but newer ones
15 might need to be decrypted (rip the movie to your harddrive).
16 It is definitely not easy right now but a lot of titles are being cracked
17 everyday.
18 I would avoid bluray until it gets easier to play.
19
20 Why would you buy an HD-DVD reader?
21 That format is dead and there won't be any new titles.
25 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list