From: Bryce Verdier <btv@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Detecting local host firewall
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:47:02
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > Frank.Pikelner@××××××××.ca wrote:
4 >
5 >> Is there a way to detect programmatically whether the local host has
6 >> a firewall enabled?
9 > nmap can return enough informatin to surmize that. It may even be
10 > able to tell you straight out. I'm not that familiar with all its
11 > switches.
12 >
13 > Running nmap -v -P0 host will give you enough to make a good guess.
14 >
15 > So maybe parsing nmap output can be done programmatically.
16 >
17 There is... in the August issue of SysAdmin, there was an article on how
18 to write a PERL frontend for NMAP... it was pretty cool and pretty easy
19 (for the simple stuff). The article name is "Vulnerability Assessments
20 with NMAP & Nessus".
21
22 I know the code you can find online, and maybe by now you can find the
23 article itself.
24
25 bryce
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list