From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS suggestions for home user
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 20:59:45
1 On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 9:39 AM Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 01/10/2021 17:08, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > This old machine is now about 10 years old. It's a big Cooler Master
5 > > case, 6 or 8 removable drive bays, heavy. It collects dust and
6 > > sometimes the fans are quite noisy. If I was going this direction
7 > > I think I'd have to tear the whole thing down, redo the case fans at
8 > > least. If I did all that then I think I'd use it for the new machine,
9 > > but you do have a point.
10 >
11 > Okay, get your new disk drive, stick it in your old server, put btrfs on
12 > it, learn to play with the backups etc. You can hoover out the inside at
13 > the same time, and possibly replace the fans - they might be noisy
14 > because the bearings are shot.
15 >
16 > There's no reason why your backup drive has to be in a different machine
17 > (other than the physical safety of it being separate), so play with it
18 > as part of your current machine. Learn btrfs, learn rsync, learn all
19 > that stuff.
20 >
21 > (Your case sounds a bit like the N300 I've just bought. I want to put a
22 > whole load of 1TB drives in it as a raid testbed - you might have
23 > noticed my name on the raid wiki :-)
24 >
25 > The other thing, if you are interested and happy with just one disk not
26 > raid, look at getting one of these HOST MANAGED shingled drives, and use
27 > a log-structured file system. Again, I don't know anything about these
28 > other than what they are, but for backups it should be a good and
29 > reasonably cheap solution.
30 >
31 > If you want to go down the pi route, I think you can get little cases,
32 > and I've got a USB thingy into which you can plug two drives. But at
33 > about £30-40 each, that's $100 for hardware over and above your drive.
34 > I'd recycle the old machine :-)
35 >
36 > Cheers,
37 > Wol
40 So here I am reporting back after a couple of months of not working on
41 this task.
42
43 I dug around in the garage and found an old i5 Clarksdale machine that
44 literally hadn't been turned on since we sold a house back in about
45 2013. Unboxed it, cleaned it up a bit, took out all the old hard
46 drives, the CD and the floppy and put in 2 500GB WD Enterprise drives
47 I had sitting here from a previous upgrade. Darned if the machine
48 didn't boot right up from a FreeNAS (now TrueNAS Core) flash drive. I
49 installed the OS to a second USB thumb drive, booted the machine,
50 created a 500GB ZFS mirrored pool, created a user directory and 3
51 hours later I'm doing backups. So far it's done 30GB of about 450GB
52 and just seems to be humming along nicely. CPU usage is only about 5%
53 most of the time. The processor is only 2 cores, 4 threads, but most
54 of the time it's only using about 5% CPU.
55
56 No idea how stable it will be but the computer itself was always a
57 good machine 10 years ago so I'll keep my fingers crossed and see how
58 it goes.
59
60 I'll be adding a SSD front end cache to the storage pool later this
61 week and will likely move the OS to something internal (SSD or maybe
62 an old HDD) as I don't like the idea of depending on a USB boot.
63
64 Cheers,
65 Mark
66
67 Anyone looking for some similar solution so far I really couldn't be
68 happier with how easy it was to get this up and running.