From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout --> openrc ?
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 11:44:52
1 On 22 October 2010 11:02, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Well here it seems that openrc is going ~arch
5 >
6 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-688090.html
7 >
8 > So has it been decided that openrc is the way forward?
11 > Any caveats with openrc we should be aware of?
14 Just to put in my two cents, which is largely a smaller general point
15 and not related to the fairly informative discussion regarding openrc
16 itself.
17
18 Basically, any time I do a major update like this, I make a disk image
19 styled backup. I run other backups more regularly (rsnapshot), but if
20 something hits the fan on an update and I don't have the time,
21 patience, or luck to fix it right away, then I just toss my system
22 back to exactly how it was without fretting. These days it's either
23 the first point (a matter of time right then) or just a comfort factor
24 from my older days of doing large Gentoo updates and not knowing a lot
25 of the basics of how to properly update.
26
27 Anyway, systemrescuecd or even something simple like gparted live cd
28 will have partimage which is a quick and easy tool for full backups.
29 Just don't turn off the 2GB file size if you use the gzip option
30 (something goes wrong that I forget now). Of course you can even use
31 dd if you it's your style.
32
33 I'm aware this strays slightly from the main question asked here, but
34 I think that question was considered already by others.
35
36 That being said, I too did the openrc migration a long ways back and
37 it was fine. I also agree with the general sentiment that sticking
38 with ARCH or ~ARCH makes more sense. But if you have some time right
39 now to do updates and plan to be really busy in the near future, then
40 that could be a reason to do such an update.
41
42 ~daid