From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Normal disk speed?
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:12:20
1 On Saturday 02 October 2010, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 01.10.2010 18:23, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
3 > > On Friday 01 October 2010, Florian Philipp wrote:
4 > >> Am 01.10.2010 03:12, schrieb Adam Carter:
5 > >>> Your harddisk seeks, everything is slow.
6 > >>>
7 > >>> So does that then mean that my options are;
8 > >>> 1. Defragment, so there is less seeking
9 > >>> 2. Get an SSD
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Since 2 is too expensive for a decent size drive, is there anything i
12 > >>> can do about 1 without a backup and restore operation? Or will the
13 > >>> fragmentation be very small on reiser3 anyway (i mount with notail) so
14 > >>> I should just accept things as they are.
15 > >>
16 > >> To prevent fragmentation, try to always keep a decent amount of free
17 > >> space on each partition. That way, the FS driver can allocate space for
18 > >> new files without too much fragmentation (a fragment every 2 MB or so
19 > >> doesn't really hurt performance).
20 > >
21 > > you obviously never used a tape drive...
22 >
23 > Hehe, yep. :)
24 >
25 > While we're at the topic, we can do some basic math to show how bad
26 > fragmentation is.
27 >
28 > Symbols:
29 >
30 > s [MB]: total size
31 > t_f [s]: total read/write time with fragmentation
32 > t_nf [s]: total read/write time without fragmentation
33 > t_s [s]: seek time
34 > v [MB/s]: sequential throughput
35 > n [-]: number of fragments
36 > f [1/MB]: fragmentation (fragments per MB)
37 > e [-]: effectiveness (percentage)
38 >
39 > Assumptions:
40 >
41 > 1. Seek time is constant. For HDDs we can take an average value. Of
42 > course this doesn't work for tapes. They have a seek time which
43 > increases linearly with the distance between the fragments.
44
45 I think you misunderstood my remark.
46
47 Tapes try to stream. Take an old DLT drive with 5-10mb/sec streaming speed.
48 Slow, isn't it?
49
50 But when you do a backup on such an old tape even with a modern harddisk you
51 have problems keeping it streaming. As soon as you hit a directory with many
52 small files - like ~/Mail or /usr/portage you are screwed.
53
54 Yes, you have wonderfull 100mb/sec when you read a big, fat file. Or a single
55 small file. But when you have houndreds, thousands or hundreds of thousands of
56 small files, harddisks suck.
57 And your tape drive has to stop and rewind every couple of seconds because
58 your harddisks were not able to keep up the required 10mb/sec. Trueley
59 pathetic.
60
61 Besides, seek times are not constant ;)