From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage wants to re-emerge old kernel sources
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 02:33:02
1 > > > > It is true then that emerge --depclean never unmerges slotted packages?
2 > > >
3 > > > Just how would portage know that an old slot is no longer needed? Just
4 > > > because a newer version is installed doesn't mean it's been compiled or
5 > > > that the old is no longer needed (you might need to compile some package
6 > > > against the old that fails to compile against the new)...
7 > > >
8 > > > For the more general case slot deps aren't allowed in the tree yet so
9 > > > it's not all that easy to figure out which slots are in use. You do risk
10 > > > breaking your system by pruning the wrong package..
11 > >
12 > > Ok, yes, slot deps sounds like what I'm after here. Is there a
13 > > portage command I can run to see which packages are installed in more
14 > > than one slot? I'm having disk space problems on my laptop.
15 >
16 > emerge -Pp
17 >
18 > Though you should never run that without --pretend cause that will destroy
19 > your system.
20
21 Ok, I guess this is where I either stop or find out if udept works.
22
23 - Grant
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list