From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Harddisk trouble ... or not yet?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 09:40:46
1 > I was more thinking of a tool, which test the whole disc surface
2 > and reports every bad sector.
3
4 badblocks -wvs (which takes forever, but in my experience is quite good
5 at make failing disks actually fail ;)
6
7 During the test you can monitor the smart attributes (smartctl -A, esp.
8 the reallocated sector count) to see what is actually going on.
9
10 Warning: backup your data as badblocks in destructive mode will wipe the
11 disk clean.
12
13 Also, you can run a SMART offline long test (smartctl -t long), which
14 will scan the whole surface. But on most disks the test stops at the
15 first error, so you don't get a complete picture.
16
17 > Smarts is more of statistical kind: It counts events and tries
18 > to calculate dooms day from that ;)
19
20 That's just a part of it. Attribute values and the error log actually
21 provide useful information about the status of the disk.
22
23 andrea