From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Finer grained kde*-meta packages (was: Make portage assume, that a package is installed)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:54:02
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > However, I suggest that a cleaner method would be to not install kde-meta
4 > or kdenetwork-meta at all but instead just install the KDE applications
5 > that you require.
6
7 Actually, I disagree.
8
9 This would (obviously *g*) mean, that kde-meta cannot be installed
10 (just as you say). This means, that a whole "shit load" of packages
11 would need to be manually installed. And all that, just because you
12 don't want one or two packages?
13
14 Nah. IMO that's the wrong way around. IMO the correct way would
15 be to enhance the kde*-meta packages so, that they support USE flags,
16 which allow the user to select what's to be installed.
17
18 Eg. a "ppp" flag to select that ppp related stuff is to be installed.
19 Or "filesharing" to disable filesharing related stuf (kdenetwork-filesharing
20 and kpf - or whatever). Or if you don't use feeds, why install
21 dcoprss and knewsticker?
22
23 I mean, what's the advantage of the kde*-meta packages over the kde
24 package, when the kde*-meta require just as much "junk", as the
25 kde package does? Hm, really, what's the use of the kde*-meta package
26 anyway?
27
28 Alexander Skwar
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list