From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is a "packet"? Was: Checksum error
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:58:21
1 On Montag 12 Oktober 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2009-10-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > English is a mess. As a language it's worse than a pig's
4 > > breakfast and makes almost no sense whatsoever to non-native
5 > > speakers. Mind you, it makes about as much sense to native
6 > > speakers as well :-) I had to take 5 years of Latin study in
7 > > high school to understand how my own mother tongue works. Sad
8 > > indictment for a language wouldn't you say?
9 >
10 > At least we mostly got rid of the whole gender mess and only
11 > have to worry about objective/subjective case for a few cases.
12
13 which makes english a horrible, horrible language.
14
15 > During a mostly futile attempt to learn German, I had occasion
16 > to read Mark Twin's essay on Germain articles. IIRC, plotting
17 > out all of the combinations for "the" takes something like a
18 > 3x9 grid
19
20 it is always hard to go from chaos to order.