From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2018 19:09:18
1 On December 8, 2018 6:23:04 PM UTC, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
3 >> Am Donnerstag, 6. Dezember 2018, 10:27:31 CET schrieb Dale:
4 >>> Howdy,
5 >>>
6 >>> I mentioned in other threads that I'm doing some upgrades to my
7 >system.
8 >>> My first question is about a CPU upgrade. I currently have this for
9 >my
10 >>> CPU, from cpuinfo:
11 >>>
12 >>> AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor
13 >>>
14 >>> I've bought but not yet installed a FX-8350 CPU. I have this in my
15 >>> make.conf file:
16 >>>
17 >>> CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
18 >> Compiling the whole system with -march=native might lead to troubles,
19 >
20 >> especially when doing a CPU change. This option means that gcc is
21 >determining
22 >> the type of CPU automatically and adjusts the instruction set used to
23 >exactly
24 >> this CPU. Although, in your case, it is highly likely that your new
25 >CPU
26 >> understands all commands from the old, but I wouldn't bet on it. Its
27 >possible
28 >> that your existing software encounters problems like "illegal
29 >instruction" or
30 >> the like. Very bad if your compiler crashes after CPU replacement,
31 >then you
32 >> cannot emerge anything. I highly recommend using CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
33 >and
34 >> nothing more, the performance difference is, if measurable at all,
35 >negligible.
36 >>
37 >>> USE_CPU="fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
38 >cmov
39 >>> pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
40 >>> pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl
41 >nonstop_tsc
42 >>> extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic
43 >>> cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt
44 >>> nodeid_msr hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save"
45 >>>
46 >> As someone else in this thread already mentioned, USE_CPU is not
47 >used. What
48 >> you're looking for is CPU_FLAGS_X86=..., which defines what
49 >cpu-specific options
50 >> will be enabled for packages supporting it and where it makes sense.
51 >See
52 >> package cpuid2cpuflags for details.
53 >>
54 >> Regards
55 >> Alex
58 >It seems the holiday shopping is slowing down delivery.  My fan was
59 >supposed to be here today but didn't arrive.  Since I got time, I'll
60 >change the CFLAGS for at least the @system stuff, that should get me
61 >booted for sure.  While the native setting makes things easier for
62 >normal use, I can see the point of not using it when changing CPUs.
63 >That is one reason for this thread.  The CPUs are different and may
64 >require some changes during the swap.
65 >
66 >Is there a easy way to see what if any changes will be made?  I did a
67 >emerge -UDNa @system but it's not showing any change.  Does it require
68 >a
69 >emerge -e @system to force the change?  Or is it not changing anything?
70 >
71 >Thanks much.  Better safe than sorry.  ;-)
72 >
73 >Dale
74 >
76
77 A CFLAGS change requires a rebuild of all packages done with gcc. I am not aware of a simple way of only doing those, so a "emerge --empty @world" will be needed.
80 Joost
81 --
82 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.