From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Help with ALSA bug report
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:15:04
1 Hi all--
2
3 For some days now, I've been having a problem with almost all media
4 players and one emulator.
5
6 Xine 1.1.1-r4 opened, but crashed when closing the splash screen.
7
8 Totem 1.3.91 (bmg, gstreamer backend) opened, and then crashed immediately.
9
10 mplayer was OK (but I prefer xine, and naturally was concerned about the
11 other two crashing like that).
12
13 FakeNES 0.3.1 with Allegro >4.1 (yes, I tried all three versions)
14 crashed with a signal #6 in Allegro (but 0.1.5 with Allegro 4.0.3 worked
15 fine, so I just masked everything above that combination).
16
17 I ultimately found that the error was the same for all three programs:
18
19 totem: conf.c:3144: snd_config_iterator_first: Bewering `node->type ==
20 SND_CONFIG_TYPE_COMPOUND' mislukt.
21
22 The same line number, even, but in what program or library's conf.c, was
23 the question.
24
25 Goolgling revealed that the problem was ALSA, but the only solution I
26 found was to downgrade ALSA.
27
28 So I did that, masking
29
30 =media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.11_rc3
31 =media-libs/alsa-oss-1.0.11_rc3
32 =media-sound/alsa-firmware-1.0.11_rc3
33 =media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.11_rc3
34
35 and then doing an emerge -uaDNtv world to downgrade those packages (to
36 1.0.10, for the most part).
37
38 Lo and behold, Totem and Xine suddenly worked again. I unmasked Allegro
39 and FakeNES-0.3.1, and that works too (got FakeNES 0.3.1 open right now).
40
41 Hurrah!! The problem is, this seems very much to be a bug in some ALSA
42 ebuild (the person whose advice I followed on the ALSA-user's list was
43 also a Gentoo user, also using 1.0.11_rc3), but I don't know which part
44 of ALSA (which package of the four I downgraded I should file the bug
45 against), nor what precisely to file as a bug; can I get away with
46 "Alsa-* fails with multiple applications"? I mean, basically, all I know
47 is that downgrading some part of ALSA allowed these programs to run when
48 they stopped before-- which is weird enough in itself, since I upgraded
49 ALSA on the 5th of February, and this issue just manifested itself,
50 afaik... I *think* xine and Totem were running up to a couple of days
51 ago. So it could be something else I upgraded that broke ALSA, but that
52 takes me completely out of my depth in terms of bug-testing.
53
54 I seem to have found a bug, and it seems to be related to ALSA, but may
55 be triggered by something else.
56
57 Is anybody else seeing this kind of issue, first of all, and second of
58 all, does anybody know how I can determine where the bug actually is so
59 I can submit it?
60
61 Thanks for any help,
62 Holly