From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something went wrong with DNS, plz help!
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:14:06
1 On Saturday 26 Jul 2014 16:23:20 Grand Duet wrote:
2 > The first reboot after recent update of the system have
3 > shown that I cannot open any webpage in Firefox.
4 >
5 > More exactly, Firefox or my system cannot any more resolve
6 > URL to IP address (sorry if I use wrong terms).
7 >
8 > Thus,
9 > host gmail.com
10 > gives:
11 > ;; connection timed out no servers could be reached
12
13 OK, what does 'cat /etc/resolve.conf' shows?
14
15 It seems that you do not have a nameserver set up in your system?
16
17 > Nevertheless
18 > dig @8.8.8.8 gmail.com
19 > reports the corresponding IP adresses.
20
21 I'm guessing that 'dig gmail.com' doesn't come up with an answer?
24 > I have not changed any my network settings and my
25 > /etc/conf.d/net file still contains list of my DNS servers
26 > that contains server 8.8.8.8 as well but somehow it is
27 > not enough any more. :(
28
29 Do you then define the nameservers statically?
30
31 Do you use dhcpcd, or something else?
34 Regards,
35 Mick