From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] {OT} Storage expansion options
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 02:49:11
1 My desktop currently runs one of these:
2
3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148140
4
5 I'm pretty much out of space and I'm trying figure out the best way to
6 expand. The factors to consider are cost, capacity, speed, noise, and
7 heat. Should I get another identical drive and set up RAID, or will
8 that create too much noise and heat? Should I get rid of my current
9 drive and get a new drive, or will that not be much faster?
10 Velociraptors are reputed to be very fast, but $200 for 300GB is
11 pretty expensive and 1TB would require 4 drives which I think would
12 create a lot of noise and heat.
13
14 Just looking for advice from experienced storage folk.
15
16 - Grant