From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Has MySQL become compulsory?
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:28:02
1 On Monday 26 October 2009 16:26:23 Mick wrote:
2 > >> Which I guess proves the point that Dirk is making. If I were to emerge
3 > >> akonadi again, will it pop up everytime I start kmail, knode, etc?
4 > >
5 > > No, at least mine doesn't here.
6 > >
7 > > I forget exactly what I did to achieve this, it was something like having
8 > > trouble getting akonadi to work right, so I set all the kdepim apps to
9 > > use the resource files directly in the fashion of KDE-3.5
10 >
11 > Can you please share what you did on your system to make this happen
12 > if you can remember? Over here kde-base/akonadi is dragged in by
13 > kde-base/kdepim-meta and I haven't found a way to disable it. Every
14 > time I fire up kmail it starts up and causes delay as it fails to
15 > find/start mysqld.
16
17 SystemSettings -> Resources
18
19 Create the conventional addressbooks as files in
20 ~/.kde4/share/kde4/services/resources - exactly as we did in KDE-3.5
21
22 In the list of types of resources, there are Akondai related item, just don't
23 use those, and kmail will use the file directly.
24
25 > I have unmerged nepomuke and all related packages have been remerged
26 > with -semantic-desktop set in /etc/make.conf:
27
28 akonadi and nepomuk are not the same thing, not even remotely.
29
30 akonadi is a backend store for pim data (mail, addresses, etc). It is
31 application agnostic, so in theory at least Thunderbird, kmail and Evolution
32 could all use akonadi to get to the same data.
33
34 nepomuk and strigi are involved with desktop search and indexing all of your
35 data. It is similar in principle to Beagle on Gnome (but with bigger design
36 scope). There's no reason Nepomuk can't use the data presented by akonadi for
37 it's indexing, but it's not a requirement - it can just as easily index
38 conventional maildirs.
39
40 You can't avoid having akonadi, nepomuk etc pulled in somehow. Just don't run
41 them.
44 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com