From: Thomas Sigurdsen <thomas.sigurdsen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Unknown problem causing incorrect mounting and daemons not starting
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 19:35:57
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 There is an html version of this mail, that also has emerge --info and
5 my kernel config, at:
6 http://browniehive.net/tmp/hp-problems.html
7
8 I've come to a dead end in troubleshooting this issue and turn to you
9 for help in how to continue. The following is what I've discovered
10 during troubleshooting.
11
12 # FS's not Mounted After Boot
13
14 After login I need to remount `/` with rw. I always then mount `/boot`,
15 `/mnt/hdd`, `/home/thomas/hdd` manually; that is --- with the `fixmnt`
16 script I made pasted below.
17
18 before doing the above `mount` command tells me that the FS's are
19 mounted as they should be, but they contain no files.
20
21 ## `~/bin/fixmnt`
22
23 ~~~~~~~~~~~~
24 #!/bin/bash
25
26 sudo ip link set lo up
27 sudo dhclient enp0s25
28
29 cp /etc/mtab /home/thomas/mtab-$(date -Iminutes)
30 wgp=$(wgetpaste /etc/mtab)
31
32 sudo mount -o remount,rw /
33 echo $wgp >> /home/thomas/wgp-$(date -Iminutes)
34 sudo mount /boot
35 sudo mount /mnt/hdd
36 sudo mount /home/thomas/hdd
37 sudo swapon /dev/sdb2
38 #ip link set lo up
39 #sudo ip link set lo up
40 ~~~~~~~~~~~~
41
42 As I can't put a copy of `/etc/mtab` anywhere on a read only FS you
43 won't see what it looks like before running the `fixmnt ` script. The
44 script gives off an error for the call to cp that I've just ignored for
45 now (also the wgetpaste doesn't work as it requires creating files in
46 `/tmp/`, which at that point in time is not writable).
47
48 # Daemons Won't Start
49
50 You can see from the above that `net.lo` does not get started and there
51 are some daemons that haven't started and won't start when called. Some
52 I can start through calling their commands directly (I do this with
53 `privoxy` and `tor` at the moment in a `tmux` session for browsing).
54 Other daemons won't start no matter what I try, like `dbus`.
55
56 ## `/etc/init.d/dbus start`
57
58 ~~~~~~~~~~~~
59 * Checking local filesystems .../dev/sda1 is mounted.
60 e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
63 fsck.xfs: invalid option -- 'p'
64 Usage: fsck.xfs [options] device
67 -f The device is a file
68 -L Force log zeroing. Do this as a last resort.
69 -l logdev Specifies the device where the external log resides.
70 -m maxmem Maximum amount of memory to be used in megabytes.
71 -n No modify mode, just checks the filesystem for damage.
72 -P Disables prefetching.
73 -r rtdev Specifies the device where the realtime section resides.
74 -v Verbose output.
75 -c subopts Change filesystem parameters - use xfs_admin.
76 -o subopts Override default behaviour, refer to man page.
77 -t interval Reporting interval in seconds.
78 -d Repair dangerously.
79 -V Reports version and exits.
80 open: No such file or directory
81 fsck.fat 3.0.28 (2015-05-16)
82
83 * Filesystems couldn't be fixed
84 [ !! ]
85 * ERROR: fsck failed to start
86 * Checking local filesystems .../dev/sda1 is mounted.
87 e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
88
89 .... snip ....
90
91 * Filesystems couldn't be fixed
92 [ !! ]
93 * ERROR: fsck failed to start
94 * ERROR: cannot start root as fsck would not start
95 * ERROR: cannot start mtab as fsck would not start
96 * ERROR: cannot start localmount as fsck would not start
97 * ERROR: cannot start dbus as fsck would not start
98 ~~~~~~~~~~~~
99
100 Because of the above output I wonder if this is because of some FS or
101 disk error (crossing fingers for software/config and not hardware) the
102 culprit could be `fsck.xfs`.
103
104 I have run fsck (including `xfs_repair` on the xfs partitions) on all
105 partitions, with no problems reported from a trisquell livedisk. I also
106 tried running fsck on `/dev/sda1` from the installed Gentoo instance;
107 got no errors and didn't change any behaviour as far as I have noticed.
108
109 # Overview of System
110
111 Sometime in the beginning of October I installed an ssd in this laptop
112 and migrated to it. The problems started after this, but I am unsure
113 precisely when as I didn't reboot much in between the migration; for all
114 I remember now these problems might have started a while after the
115 migration. `sdb` is the "new" ssd while `sda` is the old hdd.
116
117 As you can see from `fstab` I tried putting `/dev/sdb3` as the boot
118 partition when I installed the ssd.
119
120 ## `/etc/fstab`
121
123 #/dev/sdb3 /boot ext2 noatime 1 2
124 /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noatime 1 2
125 /dev/sdb1 / ext4 noatime,discard 0 1
126 /dev/sdb2 none swap sw 0 0
127 ## Old harddisk
128 /dev/sda4 /mnt/hdd xfs noatime 0 2
129 /mnt/hdd/home/thomas /home/thomas/hdd none bind 0 0