From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Machine completely broken; Ncursed!
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 01:24:59
1 On 04/12/2015 09:15 PM, »Q« wrote:
2 >
3 > Before you pore through it, I guess I should point out that it's not
4 > causing me any problems -- I was just curious about why it would be a
5 > bad idea for me to manage those PYTHON_* variables myself. I guess the
6 > most notable thing about my make.conf is that I'm one of those crazy
7 > USE="-*" people.
11 It's not a bad idea to manage the PYTHON_TARGETS, PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET,
12 and RUBY_TARGET variables if you *need* a specific version of python or
13 ruby. If you do not, I would say it is bad. These are set in the profile
14 so that the maintainers can decide when to update to a new stable
15 version. Since all of the various python and ruby libraries are
16 installed from source, it's generally a good idea to wait for the
17 maintainers to stabilize a certain version since that means the library
18 support is also good.
19
20 Also, using the KDE profile and having USE="-*" seem contrary. One of
21 the main reasons to use a profile is to get a relevant set of USE flags.
22
23 Alec