From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:36:26
1 ...
2 >> >>> I still think it's a driver problem.  Again: it's *physically*
3 >> >>> impossible to
4 >> >>> have these problems with the HDMI signal.  At most you get "digital
5 >> >>> noise",
6 >> >>> which means some pixels get stuck or are missing.  But not what you
7 >> >>> get; that's just something that can't be explained.
8 >> >>
9 >> >> I was thinking about this.  The digital HDMI signal must be converted
10 >> >> into an analog signal at some point if it's being represented as light
11 >> >> on a TV screen.  Electrical interference generated by the computer and
12 >> >> traveling up the HDMI wire should have its chance to affect things
13 >> >> (i.e. create weird shadows) at that point, right?
14 >> >
15 >> > Not with DFPs.  Those work digital even internally.  I assume of course
16 >> > that his HDMI TV *is* a DFP.
17 >>
18 >> But at some point the 1s and 0s must be converted to some sort of an
19 >> analog signal if only right behind the diode.  A diode must be
20 >> presented with a signal in some sort of analog form in order to
21 >> illuminate, right?
22 >
23 > no.
24 >
25 > If your tv is a standard flat panel, the sub pixels only go from on to off and
26 > back. Nothing else. There is no analog signal, no transformation nothing. And
27 > off means 'let light through' and on 'black'
28
29 Every digital signal is encoded into an analog signal. I think it
30 would take some serious EMI to sufficiently change the characteristics
31 of an analog signal so as to create an error in the overlying digital
32 signal if that signal is traveling along a wire. I can imagine it
33 happens but I would think it's rare. Even if that signal were
34 altered, I would think it just about impossible that anything but an
35 error could be produced.
36
37 Whether an LED is on or off is determined by whether or not it is
38 forward biased. Biasing is established by analog voltages and/or
39 currents, and those can be altered by EMI. Again, I would think it's
40 very rare that EMI could affect an LED's forward biasing and change
41 its state from on to off or off to on.
42
43 However, what color an LED emits is determined by the energy gap of
44 the semiconductor which is very much an analog process. How could it
45 be anything else? How do you tell a photon to emit a certain color by
46 feeding it 1's and 0's? There has to be at least one D/A conversion
47 somewhere between the digital signal and the emittance of the LED, and
48 that is the most likely point for EMI to affect the final output.
49
50 > If you have an led display it is pretty much the same. All the levels you see
51 > are achieved with fast switching. There are no analog levels.
52 >
53 > Stroller is probably correct with overscan/underscan.
54 >
55 > But that has nothing to do with digital/analog conversion.
58 >> Digital is just a figment of our imagination after
59 >> all.
60 >
61 > emm, no, seriously not.
62
63 It is though. It only exists in the conceptual world, not the
64 physical world. If you want to do anything with your digital signal
65 besides change it, store it, or transfer it, there must be a D/A
66 conversion.
67
68 - Grant