From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: gottlieb@×××.edu
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mobo replaced; eth0 fails
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 21:09:28
1 On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 15:28:26 -0500
2 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > My dell laptop E6510 had its motherboard replaced (as it turned out,
5 > for no good reason) and now the wired ethernet fails.
6 >
7 > ajglap gottlieb # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
8 > * Bringing up interface eth0
9 > * ERROR: interface eth0 does not exist
10 > * Ensure that you have loaded the correct kernel module for
11 > your hardware
12 > * ERROR: net.eth0 failed to start
13 >
14 > I am hoping it is some wrong setting in the bios, but the only one I
15 > see says the ethernet can be disabled enabled enabled (with pxe)
16 >
17 > I tried both of the enabled variants with the same outcome.
18 >
19 > I don't think I changed the kernel during that time, but I did try two
20 > older kernels; again with no change. I believe I have the correct
21 > driver built into the kernel
22 >
23 > ajglap gottlieb # lspci -v
24 >
25 > [snip]
26 >
27 > 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit
28 > Network Connection (rev 05) Subsystem: Dell Device 040b
29 > Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 42
30 > Memory at e9600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
31 > Memory at e9680000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
32 > I/O ports at 8040 [size=32]
33 > Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
34 > Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
35 > Capabilities: [e0] PCI Advanced Features
36 > Kernel driver in use: e1000e
37
38 Seeing as it's gentoo, my first guess is that the new motherboard
39 doesn't have the same hardware as the old one - Dell can easily fit any
40 wireless card with the same specs - and that you don't have the correct
41 module loaded.
42
43 In the BIOS the option you want is plain "enabled", if you need pxe you
44 will certainly know all about that already.
45
46 Any clues in dmesg about the hardware?
47
48
49
50