From: "Александър Л. Димитров" <aleks_d@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Sendmail woes
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 01:18:16
1 Hello all,
2
3 Probably the sendmail-list would be the better place for this rant
4 but I think I'll check with you guys first, just to see whether or not
5 I've missed something obvious.
6
7 I'm trying to get sendmail to work properly on my laptop. It's forwarding
8 all mail to the smarthost `mail.gmx.net' [1]. That's a free German
9 service - and I'm considering leaving it looking at the trouble they're
10 causing...
11
12 Now first of all, I'm using a dial-up connection (ADSL PPPoE) - So my IP
13 adresses are changing on a regular basis and I'm not registered with any
14 dynamic DNS-service. I don't have a FDQN and I don't want/need one, do I?
15 /etc/conf.d/hostname contains just `HOSTNAME="mymachine"', where `mymachine'
16 is how I called my machine. I did not set te domain name. Is there a
17 reason I should? So /etc/hosts just contains
18
19 127.0.0.1 localhost mymachine
20 ::1 localhost
21
22 Fair enough. But sendmail does not like this setup. When starting it via
23 the init scripts it lags seriously and checking the logs gives:
24
25 Jul 16 02:06:14 [sendmail] My unqualified host name (localhost) unknown; sleeping for retry
26 Jul 16 02:07:14 [sendmail] unable to qualify my own domain name (localhost) -- using short name
27
28 ... repeatedly. Whether or not I set HOSTNAME to be some
29 $phantasy_value or just `localhost' does not make any difference.
30 BUT if I set my hostname to something as stupid as
31 `mymachine.foo' (LITERAL `foo') _or even_ just `mymachine.' sendmail stops
32 to complain and starts immediately (Yes, I restarted /etc/init.d/hostname).
33 What's the deal?
34 Why this stupid behaviour? Why does it want to have a `.' in the
35 hostname - why do I have to trick it so that it thinks it has a domain
36 where in reality it does not?
37
38 Anyways, now with sendmail up and running, I want to send e-mails. Alas,
39 it seems impossible. Sendmail seems to ignore 50% of its configuration
40 files. First of all, you might notice the X-Authentication-Warning
41 flag in this email's header. Well, for mail.gmx.net to accept an e-mail
42 I have to invoke sendmail with the `-fmyemailaddress@×××.de' flag, wich
43 causes sendmail to add this header for obvious anti-spamming reasons.
44 That's fine and sendmail seems to offer a mechanism which can circumvent
45 the printing of this warning to the message's headers: trusted users. So
46 I add my user to trusted useres using this directive in sendmail.mc
47
48 define(`confTRUSTED_USERS', `me')dnl
49
50 rebuild sendmail.cf, restart sendmail and - nothing happens. I tried
51 different mechanisms, for example /etc/mail/trusted-users and the
52 according directives. To no avail. Sendmail ignores them all.
53
54 Without the `-fsomeemailaddress' flag, I can't send any e-mail at all
55 because mail.gmx.net will give me only negative responses like `Service
56 unavailable' and a message which says something like `this server does
57 not accept empty envelopes from'. It stops after the `from' leaving the
58 whole sentence ungrammatical...
59
60 What am I doing wrong? I'll give you my sendmail.mc in
61 case it helps:
62
63 sendmail.mc
64 ===================
65 divert(-1)
66 divert(0)dnl
67 include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
68 VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail-procmail.mc,v 1.2 2004/12/07 01:59:31 g2boojum Exp $')dnl
69 OSTYPE(linux)dnl
70 DOMAIN(generic)dnl
71 define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.gmx.net')dnl
72 MASQUERADE_AS(`gmx.de')dnl
73 FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
74 MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mymachine.local)dnl
75 dnl define(`confTRUSTED_USERS',`me')dnl
76 define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
77 define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `novrfy,noexpn')dnl
78 FEATURE(`authinfo',`hash /etc/mail/auth/client-info')dnl
79 FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl
80 FEATURE(`local_lmtp',`/usr/sbin/mail.local')dnl
81 FEATURE(`local_procmail')dnl
82 MAILER(local)dnl
83 MAILER(smtp)dnl
84 MAILER(procmail)dnl
85
86 I have tried /various/ configurations and read _a lot_ of docs most of
87 the relevant sections of O'Reillys sendmail book. I did not find my
88 mistake so far. There are two issues to be resolved and they are
89 independant:
90
91 1) Why does sendmail ignore me as a trusted user? If I execute mutt as
92 root and send the e-mail it does not issue an x-auth warning
93 2) What's wrong with all those domains?
94
95 I'll appreciate even _reading_ through this lenghty mail, let alone
96 _answering_ - so thanks to anybody willing to help
97
98 Yours,
99 Aleks
100
101 P.S. while writing the e-mail I've already concluded that I'll just
102 leave the domains as they are and use the `-f' switch, but only with
103 `-faleks_d', because I don't have the e-mail address `aleks@×××.de', but
104 that's my username on _my_ machine. So the most pressing issue is to let
105 sendmail send mail that does not include this ugly
106 X-Authentication-Warning header. It's really ugly, you must admit ;-)
109 [1] but it's qmail, how can it be smart then? ... :-P