From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openrc update : locale variables are gone
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 12:53:27
1 On Sunday 15 May 2011 09:43:39 Alain DIDIERJEAN wrote:
2
3 > Following the openrc update in gentoo amd64, all locale variables suddenly
4 > vanished. I created a /etc/env.d/02locale file which includes
5 > LANG="fr_FR.UTF-8". lyx loads with english menus. It's only after
6 > exporting LANG from .bashrc that I can launch it from a shell with its
7 > french menus. To achieve the same effect from KDE menu, I have to set the
8 > launch command to LANG="fr_FR.UTF-8" lyx. My preference would be a global
9 > setting (as it used to be), as all users on my machine are french. I have
10 > the same problem with most of the apps.
11 > Any comments ?
12
13 Alain, as I said in my previous post the /etc/env.d/02locale settings do not
14 seem to transfer across to user terminals when run in X. I do not run KDE on
15 this machine to see what KDE locale settings are doing ... have you set it to
16 use the French language?
17
18 Either way, I have noticed that although locale from a user terminal in X
19 shows everything as en_GB.UTF-8:
20
21 $ locale
22 LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
23 LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
24 LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
25 LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
26 LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
27 LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
28 LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
29 LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
30 LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
31 LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
32 LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
33 LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
34 LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
35 LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8
36
37 without me having set it so, the same terminal shows different environment
38 variables which correctly coincide with the /etc/env.d/02locale settings:
39
40 $ echo $LANG
41 en_GB.UTF-8
42
43 $ echo $LC_TIME
44 POSIX
45
46 $ echo $LC_COLLATE
47 C
48
49 The only odd is the LC_ALL - which I have not set up in my ~/.bashrc or
50 02locale files!
51
52 $ echo $LC_ALL
53 en_GB.UTF-8
54
55 Perhaps my WM decided to take the LANG variable which happens to be
56 en_GB.UTF-8 and apply it to LC_ALL? The solution for me was to set in
57 ~/.bashrc:
58
59 export LC_ALL=""
60