From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libvisual error
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 23:40:13
1 Hey Richard,
2
3 Richard Fish wrote:
4 > On 9/5/06, Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> ./libvisual -DPLUGPATH=\"/usr/lib/libvisual\" -O2 -march=i686 -pipe -MT
6 >> lv_video_mmx.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/lv_video_mmx.Tpo -c lv_video_mmx.c
7 >> -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/lv_video_mmx.o
8 >
9 > -march=i686 means old Pentium Pro CPUs, without mmx, sse, etc. What
10 > processor are you actually using? I suspect you'll want
11 > -march=pentium4, but better report your /proc/cpuinfo to be sure.
12 >
13 > -Richard
14
15 As requested, this line is from /proc/cpuinfo, but I could have told you
16 that this was a Pentium 4 since I built the machine.
17
18 model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
21 Despite how this looks, I'm not exactly an idiot. :-) When I first
22 installed Gentoo, (okay, maybe back then I *was* and idiot), I read the
23 Handbook and somehow got the impression that if I wanted backward
24 compatibility, that I should set -march= lower than what I actually had.
25 Maybe I misinterpreted?
26
27 Can I change this without having to go through the whole process of
28 rebuilding my system again?
29
30 However, and again I have to say why? .... This is the same machine that
31 I build Gentoo on a bit over a year ago. Granted, it was a different
32 kernel, different gcc, but why all of a sudden can't I install libvisual
33 with the -march=686 when this is what I've been using all along and I
34 never had any problems install libvisual before?
35
36 Regards,
37
38 Colleen