From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something went wrong with DNS, plz help!
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:17:05
1 2014-07-26 19:02 GMT+03:00 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > On 26/07/2014 17:23, Grand Duet wrote:
4 > > The first reboot after recent update of the system have
5 > > shown that I cannot open any webpage in Firefox.
6 > >
7 > > More exactly, Firefox or my system cannot any more resolve
8 > > URL to IP address (sorry if I use wrong terms).
9 > >
10 > > Thus,
11 > > host gmail.com <http://gmail.com>
12 > > gives:
13 > > ;; connection timed out no servers could be reached
14 > >
15 > > Nevertheless
16 > > dig @8.8.8.8 <http://8.8.8.8> gmail.com <http://gmail.com>
17 > > reports the corresponding IP adresses.
18 > >
19 > > I have not changed any my network settings and my
20 > > /etc/conf.d/net file still contains list of my DNS servers
21 > > that contains server 8.8.8.8 as well but somehow it is
22 > > not enough any more. :(
23 > >
24 > > During my last system update, I suddenly found that
25 > > I had to update about 150 packages, what was a little
26 > > bit strange as I update my system at least once a week.
27 > >
28 > > I have attributed that to the remnants of gnome2 (now I am using
29 > > fxce4) that I have not cleaned completely and that is now going
30 > > to update. So, I deviated a bit from my usual system update routine
31 > > trying to fix that. Nevertheless, as to my view, during my system update
32 > > I did nothing to distroy the DNS lookup.
33 > >
34 > > Luckily, I save my system update logs and now can attach
35 > > the last one to this e-mail.
36 > >
37 > > Please, help me to recover my internet access,
38 > > as I still have to do a lot of real work till Monday
39 > > and have not enough time to investigate this problem
40 > > alone and without a proper internet access. :(
41 >
42 > what is the contents of /etc/resolve.conf?
43
44 # Generated by net-scripts for interface lo
45 domain mynetwork
46
47 That is all.
48
49 I tried to add here lines like:
50
51 nameserver 8.8.8.8
52
53 but found out that this file is rewritten on every reboot.
54
55 My net try was to create /etc/resolv.conf.tail file
56 and put that line there but that did not help either.