From: Dutch Ingraham <stoa@×××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommend a good replacement for XFCE?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 15:38:19
1 On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 03:09:23PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 14:02:18 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 > > > I'm curious. What is it you are doing that needs desktops on separate
5 > > > X11 screens?
6 > >
7 > > I do software development that often involves fairly complex test
8 > > setups where I sometimes need 1 screen for source code, 1 screen for
9 > > documentation, 1 screen for various simulators or test programs, 1
10 > > screen for a web browser connected to the DUT, and another screen for
11 > > general web-browsing and email handling.
12 > >
13 > > And I find it very useful to be able to leave 2 of the screens as-is
14 > > while I switch the third one to do something else.
15 >
16 > I hadn't really thought of it like that, but being able to switch virtual
17 > desktops separately on each monitor sounds like a really useful feature.
18
19 I got used to that type of workflow with dwm, and I'm now spoiled; like the OP,
20 I find it terribly inconvenient to change all monitors when I only want to
21 change one.