From: Michael Scherer <a6702894@××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Issues with >=x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.14.4: driver issue or hardware issue?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 18:04:03
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Andrey Moshbear" <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
3 To: "gentoo-user" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
4 Sent: Tuesday, 22 May, 2012 08:02
5 Subject: [gentoo-user] Issues with >=x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.14.4: driver issue or hardware issue?
8 > Lately, I've been having some issues with segfaults when running
9 > startx and it's been pretty persistent.
10 >
11 > Xorg.0.log and emerge --info are available at https://gist.github.com/2766926 .
12 > Kernel config is available at https://gist.github.com/276943 .
13 >
14 > I've tried downgrading, but <=x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.14.2 fails
15 > to compile due to incomplete structs.
16 >
17 > Is this more a driver or a hardware issue?
18 >
19 > --
20 > 001100 m0shbear
22 > 011110 andrey at moshbear dot net
23 > 100001 andrey dot vul at gmail
29 first thing thing is your usage of ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64". with ~amd64 you globally
30 allow all packages masked for amd64. unless you are a developer/tester for gentoo you should remove
31 this keyword, because gentoo usually has good reasons to mask some packages. if for some reason you
32 really need a masked package, you can do this easily only for that package.
33 global unmasking alone might be the reason for half of your troubles.
34
35 second, it is advisable to use kernel modesetting, which is obviously not enabled. gentoo has a detailed
36 howto for this under http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml. this gives you all necessary details.
37
38 just a quick shot for the moment. your kernel config doesn't under the link you give, I'd like to see that
39 too, and maybe /etc/X11/xorg.conf or the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d, if you have any of these,
40
41 regards, nichael