From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building a test system
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:31:28
1 On Friday 24 April 2009 12:04:09 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:14:50 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I want to install Gentoo on a spare partition as a testbed. It would
4 > > have KDE4 and be ~amd64 throughout. My question is when to set
5 > > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS - whether to do it at the earliest possible stage in
6 > > installing, or build an amd64 system and only then add ~amd64 to
7 > > make.conf.
8 >
9 > Set it as soon as possible; ideally during the initial installation but
10 > right after the first boot at the latest. Then do emerge -uavDN world
11 > before you touch anything else.
12 >
13 > Doing it straight after the stage 3 unpack means you won't have to
14 > install, configure and compile a stable kernel, then repeat the whole
15 > process when you switch keywords. The same applies to changing USE flags.
16
17 Thanks Neil, and Alan too.
20 Rgds
21 Peter