From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to configure thochpad sensitivity (using hal)?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 02:39:15
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > Can anybody point me to a hint on how to configure synaptics touchapad
3 > sensitivity?
4 >
5 > The touchpad on my Thinkpad T500 is so sensitive you don't even have
6 > to touch it. Merely bringing a thumb or finger within 1/8 - 1/4 inch
7 > will cause the cursor to twitch spasmodically for a second and then
8 > jump to the lower left corner of the screen. Once you have a finger
9 > on the touchpad, it seems to work OK.
10 >
11 > I've figured out how to disable it temporarily using the "xinput"
12 > command, but I would like to actually get it working right.
13 >
14 > All the docs I can find seem to assume two things:
15 >
16 > 1) an xorg.conf file
17 >
18 > 2) the xf86-input-synpatics driver
19 >
20 > I'm using neither.
21 >
22 > I decided finally to give in and let Xorg use HAL like it wants to by
23 > default when you do a Gentoo install.
24 >
25 > What a huge mistake. I really, really hate HAL. With xorg.conf, all
26 > the settings were in one file, in an easy to read, easy to edit
27 > format. Now with HAL, they're scattered over several files. And to
28 > make sure you can't edit or read them, they're in XML. I have no idea
29 > what "problem" HAL is supposed to be solving, but it apprently wasn't
30 > a problem I ever had -- AFAICT HAL is nothing but pain.
34 You must be fairly new here. I realized the same thing a while back and
35 trust me, I posted it here so everyone else would know that it isn't
36 easy to work with. It either works out of the box or you are in a huge
37 mess.
38
39 Before you go to great pains to get this working, you do know that hal
40 is checking out right? Even the person who wrote it realized the mess
41 it was and it is dying pretty soon. I think it is policykit or polkit
42 or something to that effect. If you want to start using that instead,
43 it may save you some headaches later on when it is no longer a option.
44
45 Dale
46