From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo-Users <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why do we add the local host name to the 127.0.0.1 / ::1 entry in the /etc/hosts file?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 05:09:52
1 On 2/21/21 3:23 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > Will someone please explain why the Gentoo AMD64 Handbook ~> Gentoo (at
3 > large) says to add the local host name to the 127.0.0.1 (or ::1) entry
4 > in the /etc/hosts file?  What was the thought process behind that?
5
6 Shameless Bump -- I'm still interested in understanding the logic
7 behind the choice in the Gentoo Handbook.
8
9 Additional information.
10
11 The Samba Wiki states the following in the Preparing the Installation
12 section of the Setting up Samba as an Active Directory Domain Controller
13 document.
14
15 "The host name and FQDN must not resolve to the 127.0.0.1 IP address or
16 any other IP address than the one used on the LAN interface of the DC."
17
18 Link - Setting up Samba as an Active Directory Domain Controller -
19 Preparing the Installation
20 -
21 https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Preparing_the_Installation
26 Grant. . . .