From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LiveCD customizations
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 02:10:27
1 Tom Smith wrote:
2 > I need to make some slight customization to the Live CDs for
3 > installations at remote offices--things like configuring a root
4 > password, enabling SSH by default, and so on.
5 >
6 > I looked at the Gentoo docs at the web site but wasn't able to locate
7 > anything specific.
8 >
9 > Can anyone offer any pointers to docs describing how to do what I'm
10 > looking to?
13 The easy way is to remaster an existing livecd like I described here:
14
15 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-user&m=113397973626705&w=2
16
17 You will have to loop mount the iso image and then loop mount the livecd.squashfs file (gentoo-sources come with squashfs support, so you only have to enable it in your kernel config).
18
19 After the squashfs is mounted, you can use rsync to copy it's contents into a writable filesystem. Finally, after you have customized the root filesytem, use mksquashfs (squashfs-tools) to compress it again.
20
21 You can use catalyst to build a livecd from scratch, but in many cases it's quicker and easier to use the "remaster" approach.
22
23 Zac
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list