From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] .tmp-unverified-download-quarantine
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 08:45:26
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 12 January 2020 23:32:16 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 23:41:43 +0100, n952162 wrote:
4 >>>> I had a similar issue with the .tmp-unverified-download-quarantine
5 >>>> continually appearing, deleting it made no difference. In the end I
6 >>>> deleted the whole portage tree and resynced, then the problem
7 >>>> disappeared. This may or may not have a bearing on your profile issue,
8 >>>> but it's worth fixing first.
9 >>> I just finished running "emerge --sync" again, based on something I saw
10 >>> on the internet - it did the whole thing again, takes about 2 hours.
11 >> Two hours? How slow is your connection?
12 > Assuming this is not the time it takes to run rsync (even on a dial-up
13 > analogue modem connection?) I would guess the delay is caused by the post-sync
14 > tree verification. The .tmp-unverified-download-quarantine file is where the
15 > sync is stored until the signature verification is performed. Even on a
16 > really old dual-core laptop with low RAM the sync and verification only takes
17 > around 20 minutes.
21 I'm on DSL, fairly slow DSL but DSL is what they call it, and had a long
22 re-sync time until a month or so ago.  It started around the time the
23 verification part started so I assumed it was that.  Then it kept
24 getting slower and slower.  After a while, I decided to try something
25 else.  I found a different server to sync too.  The first one was a
26 little better but still slow.  I tried another one and hit the jackpot.
27 It was several times faster than the original one.
28
29 This may not be your problem but it may be worth looking into.  You can
30 use mirrorselect to help you find a good server.  Try a few and see what
31 changes.  For me at least, it pretty much maxes out my DSL.  Obviously
32 there is some things that take a while that is done on my end but if the
33 download is slow due to a slow server, maybe you can find a faster one.
34
35 I might add, I've always tried to get servers that are physically close
36 by because they *should* be faster.  I've found that not to be true in
37 every case.
38
39 As I said, this may not be your problem but it may be worth looking into
40 at least.  Just in case.
41
42 Dale
43