From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 compatibility with modern cpus
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:54:31
1 On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 01:43:01PM -0500, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:34:49PM -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:
3 >
4 > > Boot with SystemRescueCd and you can't get to a prompt?
5 >
6 > Currently can't even boot -- it hangs wit a blank screen at the point grub or the rescue DVD would take over.
7 >
8 > > Yes, your southbridge chipset could just happened to have failed at the same
9 > > time; or it failed on the reboot; or USB and SATA are both on the southbridge
10 > > that failed so you lost both, basically.
11 >
12 > Then my natural naive question is, can this be readily replaced, or is it soldered in and/or obsolete? It is about 8 years old.
13
14 An 8-year old consumer class mobo begs replacing. I think the way to replace
15 the southbridge chip (if that's it) is called floating point solder, or some
16 such. Hardware fails, and just a new kernel for your present drive will get
17 you up and running on a new board.
18 --
19 Happy Penguin Computers >')
20 126 Fenco Drive ( \