From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel questions
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:28:42
1 On 08/20/2010 11:44 AM, Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Am Fri, 20 Aug 2010 07:43:40 -0700
3 > schrieb Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>:
4 >
5 > [...]
6 >> I find it amazing, though, that even if I copy my old .config, it still
7 >> takes me so much time to make sure all the settings are correct for a
8 >> given machine. Hasn't anyone come up with a handy
9 >> look-through-my-lspci-output-and-create-a-skeleton-kernel-config tool?
10 >> Or does it already exist and we just call him "Pappy"?
11 >
12 > Not really what you want, but somebody thought of something similar. Since
13 > Linux 2.6.32 you can do:
14 >
15 > make localmodconfig [1].
16 >
17 > That will take the output of lsmod (so you need an already running kernel,
18 > e.g., from a live CD) and remove all unnecessary modules from the existing
19 > kernel .config.
20 >
21 > [1]: see http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_32, section 1.8.
22
23 Thanks, Marc.
24
25 So, if I boot off the livecd and I have eighty-five sata_ modules and
26 forty-two RAID modules and 2.5 handsful of various scsi/iscsi modules, I
27 should probably "modprobe -r" first, all those that aren't applicable to
28 my given system then run the make? I'll take a look. Thanks again.