From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 20:07:14
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> It would be nice if something like *fdisk could edit the labels tho.
6 >> It would be so much easier. I didn't see anything in the man pages
7 >> tho.
8 >>
9 > I'd like this, too. cfdisk displays them, but is not abel to edit.
12 >> I looked into LVM a good while ago. It's just to much for me to keep
13 >> up with since I just have a desktop system here. It has its good
14 >> points but just way overkill for what I have here.
15 >>
16 > It's not that complicated. In a nutshell:
17 >
18 > Choose the partitions you want to use for LVM, and prepare them to be
19 > physical volumes:
20 > pvcreate /dev/sda[678]
21 >
22 > Create a volume group out of these partitions:
23 > vgcreate myvg /dev/sda[678]
24 >
25 > Create logical volumes in this volume group:
26 > lvcreate -L 5G -n lvm1 myvg
27 > lvcreate -L 2G -n lvm2 myvg
28 >
29 > Use these logical volumes just as disk partitions:
30 >
31 > mke2fs -j -L fs_on_lvm /dev/myvg/lvm1
32 > mount /dev/myg/lvm1 /mnt/fs_on_lvm
33 >
34 > The file system is too small? Just extend its size by 1G, without
35 > unmouning:
36 >
37 > lvresize -L +1G /dev/myvg/lvm1
38 >
39 > The volume groups is getting full, no space to add LVMs? Add other
40 > partitions. If you like, even from a 2nd drive:
41 >
42 > pvcreate /dev/sdb5
43 > vgextend myvg /dev/sdb5
44 >
45 > So, it's of course more complicated than just firing up cfdisk, create
46 > partitions and file systems on them, but you have much more flexibility.
47 > Once you have LVM, you do not have to care what the actual device names of
48 > your drives are. If sda becomes sdb and vice versa, no problem, and
49 > nothing to worry about. LVM does not use the device name, it scans each
50 > partition and uses the LVM UUIDs on them to identify what is what.
51 >
52 > Wonko
56 Since I finally got this thing settled with partition sizes, that's
57 pretty complicated. I have root, /boot, /home, portage and a data
58 partition for misc. junk. I doubt it will change any in the near future.
59
60 I did read up on it one time a while back. It's neat when you have to
61 add drives and resize things but still a bit much for a little desktop.
62
63 Dale
64