From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] telephony
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:57:44
1 On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:30:52 -0400
2 Simon <turner25@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > hi there,
5 > i'm looking for suggestions and guidance.
6
7 []
8
9 I tend to tell folks up front to never listen to me or believe anything I say, so here's my... $.02.
10
11 > I've looked into several ideas, but the last one that remains a good
12 > 'deal' is to set it all up myself, for free (but lots of work)!
13 >
14 > I'm thinking on setting up asterisk,
15
16 []
17
18 Don't. Your GF will hate you for wasting your time.
19
20 > I've read those, but I'm sure there are a lot of surprises not covered
21 > by these...
22 > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Linux+Gentoo
23 > http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Asterisk
24 >
25 > Thanks for any help!
28 Asterisk is unlike most other open source projects I've seen. Free help doesn't exist, really -- there's just too much money to be made replacing proprietary telco hardware for folks to enjoy educing that aha! moment.
29
30 All would tell you, at your hourly rate, choosing to roll your own asterisk install on Gentoo is probably the most expensive option available to you.
31
32 Anyway, it can be done. #gentoo-voip are helpful folks, but unless you have a real reason to know asterisk, really, don't bother... it's huge PITA for just getting a phone.
33
34 Even if you do decide to kill that gnat with a sledgehammer, you're better off with Trixbox, astlinux or something you can pretty much expect some help with. (So I hear.)
35
36 If all you want is to use a SIP trunk, my local telco monopoly, for example, will rent me a box to plug a phone into for a fixed monthly fee and unlimited calling. Or, you can probably get any Dahdi compat fxs card and plug a phone into your gentoo box. Or just get a SIP phone... plug into your router.
37
38 Basically, there are so many options, it's bewildering. From my (limited) experience with it, I'd say that Asterisk is really more of a place to create telco appliances from computers, not an application you run with other things as an afterthought, just because you can.
39
40 But, then again, you already run Gentoo, so you are familiar with needless self-inflicted pain as a pastime. Asterisk may be just for you, too! ;-)
41
42 Cheers,
47 | |ichael | |iggins \^ /
48 michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org