From: Alessandro Selli <dhatarattha@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where is magicfilterconfig?
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:37:39
1 A. Khattri wrote:
2 > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Alessandro Selli wrote:
3 >
4 >> However, I realize the magicfilterconfig tool is Debian-specific,
5 >>since there is no trace of it in the official source code I just
6 >>downloaded from
7 >>http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/Code/magicfilter/magicfilter-2.3.d.tar.gz
8 >>
9 >> I wish Gentoo too had it!
10 >
11 > Did you try emerging net-print/magicfilter?
12 >
13 > The Changelog specifically mentioned magicfilterconfig so it might be in
14 > there...
15
16 All right, I queried further and learned this about
17 magicfilter/magicfilterconfig:
18
19 1) until magicfilter version 1.2, magicfilter was developped by H. Peter
20 Anvin, then David Parsons rewrote it from scratch and changed its
21 licence from GPL to BSD:
22
23 http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/Code/magicfilter/
24
25 History
26
27 Magicfilter 2 is a complete rewrite of H. Peter Anvin's
28 Magicfilter 1.2, using slightly more standard components.
31 2) magicfilter version 1.2 did have the magicfilterconfig tool standard:
32
33 http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/net-print/magicfilter/ChangeLog
34
35 *magicfilter-1.2-r3 (26 Mar 2002)
36
37 [...]
38
39 26 Mar 2002; Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
40 magicfilter-1.2-r3.ebuild:
41
42 Fixed magicfilterconfig man-page installation
43
44 3) magicfilter version 2.0 and later (David Parsons') no longer has it.
45
46 I did ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86' emerge magicfilter to install the
47 latest release (2.3d) but magicfilterconfig is not there.
48
49 However, I did manage to get it to work. I only had to change in the
50 /etc/lprng/printcap file the filter line from:
51
52 :if=/usr/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
53
54 into:
55
56 :if=/usr/share/magicfilter/filters/dj500:\
57
58 *And* I had to correct the same filter file, because it erroneously
59 had two lines defining the gs output device to use, first the right one,
60 then a wrong one that would override the correct output device. The
61 /usr/share/magicfilter/filters/dj500 file was thus changed from:
62
63 #!/usr/bin/magicfilter
64 define(Vendor, `Hewlett-Packard')dnl
65 define(Printer, `DeskJet 500 series B/W printers (and DJ500c with black
66 cartridge)')dnl
67 define(DPI,`300')dnl
68 define(DEVICE,`djet500')dnl
69 define(PCL,`true')dnl
70 define(DEVICE,`cdjcolor')dnl
71 define(HANDLE_TEXT,`cat \eE\e&k2G\e(0N \eE')dnl
72
73 into:
74
75 #!/usr/bin/magicfilter
76 define(Vendor, `Hewlett-Packard')dnl
77 define(Printer, `DeskJet 500 series B/W printers (and DJ500c with black
78 cartridge)')dnl
79 define(DPI,`300')dnl
80 define(DEVICE,`djet500')dnl
81 define(PCL,`true')dnl
82 define(HANDLE_TEXT,`cat \eE\e&k2G\e(0N \eE')dnl
83
84 There's a glitch in the magicfilter(8) man page, too: where it reads:
85
86 /etc/printcap file will simply be the name of the configuration
87 file, which is set executable and starts with the line:
88
89 #! /var/tmp/portage/magicfilter-2.3d/image//usr/bin/magicfilter
90
91 it should read:
92
93 /etc/printcap file will simply be the name of the configuration
94 file, which is set executable and starts with the line:
95
96 #! /usr/bin/magicfilter
99 I guess I should file a bug report, right?
103 Alessandro Selli
104 Tel: 340.839.73.05
105 http://alessandro.route-add.net
106 --